Monday, March 3, 2014

My Left Hip!

Well, it's been awhile since I've checked in. My right hip has healed up really well. I still need to do some work on strengthening the external rotators, but other than that it feels better than new. Even the torn hamstring I've been flirting with since I overstretched jumping a hurdle at 13 has vanished. Better living through surgery!

The fly in the ointment is the left hip. It has been getting stiffer and sorer. To the point that, on Thursday morning at the end of yoga, I said to Zack that I'm ready for my next surgery. That we should manifest it to happen soon, so I can get it over with and move forward with two healthy hips. And what happens? Just got a call from the Joint Replacement Clinic, there's been a cancellation, and I'm booked in for Tuesday, March 4th. Needless to say, I'm a bit overwhelmed, but excited!

It's a little easier this time, having gone through and come out the other side. I remember how last time I just went to sleep, woke up, and it was done. How the pain after that was the pain of healing. I do notice in reading through my blog a hint of impatience, a soupcon of frustration. I'm going to try to meditate this time, to help with the acceptance part of my healing.

I've jumped through my hoops - got my lung, heart and hip x-rays, a blood test, talked to the pre-op nurse and pharmacologist. I've collected my sock pull, walker, reacher, high seat, crutches and toilet seat from the Sooke Loan cupboard. I've had the Last Hot Tub, the Last Yoga Practice, the Last Supper and the Last Glass of Red Wine and Square of Dark Chocolate. I have my pink sponges ready to go for the Last Shower. 

My bag is packed, the mattresses in the living room for the Last Family Sleepover. Tomorrow I have to be at the Royal Jubilee Hospital (the 'Jube') at 7:40am. Guess I'll be going into surgery at 9:30 or 10. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. Anthea I can't tell you how amazingly helpful it has been to read your posts. I had my right hip done end of Jan. and will have to do the left one as well. I had no one to ask about my exp as I live in Cumberland and my surgery was at UBC so I felt very alone except for you. Thankyou so much for sharing this and normalizing it for us all.
    Basira

    ReplyDelete