Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Notes from 10 weeks Past Surgery

I have nothing really new to report. Still walking with my pelvis tucked, feet parallel and hips swaying. Or trying to. Still practicing patience in waiting out my three months of restrictions. Even so, here are some reflections from this place on the path.

1. My hip hurts. A lot. 
I just went back to read last year's blog. I don't remember it being this sore. The outside is tender to the touch, so I still can't lie on my left side. It also hurts to engage the external rotators. I've gone back to taking Tylenol. 

2. Both of my legs are weak. 
Six months of recovery in the last two years equals a lot of inactivity and muscle wasting. My hamstrings, quads and glutes are shadows of their former selves. My body feels dificult to lift. Perhaps because I am about 20 lbs heavier than my usual weight. It's hard to practice what I believe, to accept the roll at my belly, the extra flesh on my back, with love and compassion, when I miss my usual athletic self. I'm aching for dance class, acroyoga and bike rides on the Galloping Goose. 

Inspiring women like me to love their bodies as they are, here's Taryn Brumfitt. Taryn Brumfitt video


3. Zack cut my toenails
The second time around, I took care to cut the toenails on my left foot before I went in for surgery. Even so, they were appallingly long by the end of month two. Especially the baby toenail. I was in danger of slashing an ankle with it. Probably my own. Anyway, my partner Zack cut my left toenails for me. Thanks, Zack.

4. Inside to outside
A couple of weeks ago, I noticed a little black bump at the bottom end of my (I thought) completely healed incision. Over the course of a week, it wiggled its way out until it was a 3mm piece of thread sticking straight out, like a long, thick black hair. A bit alarming, as the little hole it sticks out of goes straight into the centre of my recent surgery. The perfect little tunnel for bacteria from our hot tub to invade my healing capsule. I was planning a trip to the clinic, and hopped in the shower. Then, as I ran my hand over the thread, it detached. Problem solved. I put a little Polysporin around the tiny hole, just to be safe.

5. Back on the Chain Gang
I'm able to carry my massage table again, and therefore back in business. Hurray! I love my work. You can book a Clearheart Bodywork treatment with me at 250-208-0300 or email peaceinpresence(at)gmail.com. I have also resumed setting up Personalized Restorative Yoga Programs for one, two or three people. I'll be teaching yoga at Ahimsa again in June. 

Come take advantage of the inspiration I've been soaking up while recuperating up here on Ming Mountain. I'll be so very pleased to share it with you.


Today's Quote: Healing takes courage, and we all have courage, even if we have to dig a little to find it. ~ Tori Amos

No comments:

Post a Comment